My current routine has been to walk Booster first thing in the morning, which is like 15 minutes of listening time. I don’t know if jamming as much 1.5X or 2X listening time into my day as possible is the best way to go to learn.
But I don’t know if it’s the worst way either.
Charli Marie with Chris Do (podcast)
- Pride in your work: Charli gets offers all the time to just throw videos together in some outline and then call it a course. She always turns those down because, if she’s going to charge her audience for a course, she wants to give it more care than that. She sets a bar for herself and keeps it.
- Day job and freedom in building personal brand: I liked how Chris structured the interview, making sure to be precise in asking about the day job and then all the other stuff Charli does. It helped to bring out the benefits and tradeoffs of keeping them separate. One clear benefit of not needing to live off income as an online creator: no need to pander 100% to the audience’s requests. If a video topic she found out she’s not that interested in happens to be popular with the audience, there could be a temptation to rabbit hole into that just to run the numbers up if primary income is tied to it. Instead, she can take more of a “some videos for them but more for what i enjoy making” approach
- Connection to Courtland Allen’s “what if i only did the fun parts” approach: This has been on my mind recently. Courtland uses this approach for making his podcast. His team does everything outside of prepping notes and doing the actual interview. Talking to people is fun for him, so he focuses on that.
A couple other things I listened to today (but I took too long on the above notes so I won’t be getting to these notes quite yet):
- Proof podcast: DC Investor & Kevin Rose (podcast)
- Jack Butcher and Greg Isenberg in their (Twitter spaces)
Why the steak photo? No good reason other than that’s what I was doing while listening to the Proof podcast episode. Not much better than a grilled steak. Which I also talked briefly about at the very end of the last podcast.