Check out the full notes for “The Daily Stoic” by Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman
“You know that feeling you get when you haven’t been to the gym in a few days? A bit doughy. Irritable. Claustrophobic. Uncertain. Others get a similar feeling when they’ve been on vacation for too long or right after they first retire. The mind and the body are there to be used—they begin to turn on themselves when not put to some productive end.”
— “The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living” by Ryan Holiday & Stephen Hanselman
I woke up feeling very doughy.
As I talked about in my post from earlier today, I blocked 90 minutes to get something done and got very little done except a couple paragraphs talking about that.
Even worse, it’s a Sunday. It’s supposed to be a day of rest and leisure.
So I’ve been trying to save it and am feeling better about the day a few hours later.
- Got brunch with my wife: There’s a Scandinavian cafe down the street so we got some cured fish, eggs a few different ways, and a couple lattes. Food isn’t the answer but it can be part of the answer.
- Called my dad: Oh yeah and it’s Father’s Day. We both had half our gaze beyond FaceTime on the phone toward the Suns & Clippers. Still, a good convo. I’m grateful to have grown up in a home where basketball was on frequently.
- Went for a run: Okay a jog and speed walk and normal walk once I got uphill. Went up to the top of Buena Vista, which I used to do multiple times each week before getting Booster the puppy. Can’t wait until she’s big enough (and I’m good enough at walking her) to take her up here.
- Listened to some Anthony de Mello: aka the other melo’ Anthony. Tim Ferriss mentioned the book again on a recent Q&A episode so I thought it’d be good to get a bit of a refresher.
- Listened to some Daily Stoic: probably came to mind because I wrote some notes on a Daily Stoic podcast episode with Ryan Holiday and Malcolm Gladwell. Thought it’d be good to give the book a bit of a refresher as well.
I mentioned Buena Vista and actually am still up here typing this. It wouldn’t be the worst routine to come up here and write a post a couple times a week.
A little bit of mind work. A little bit of body work.